Three years ago...

Three years ago...
the view of Mt. Baldy after a wonderful storm...have we seen snow like this in CA since then? Climate change? Oh yes...

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Emerging Trends in Global Health

Why not? I remember when I was trying to decide whether I should change my MPH tract from Health Education/Promotion to Global Health Leadership at USC. I consulted with professors, friends, my fiance, etc! I can't believe I gave it sooo much thought, since now, a whole 6 months later, it's such a no brainer! Given my interest in traveling and creating health programs based on international models, Global Health Leadership fits me like a glove! I have already learned so much about managing, collaborating, and the current state of health in our world, and I feel very confident in my abilities to contribute to public health!

This class sounds very exciting, and I'm very happy to have a professor who is so interested in the professional and academic development of his students. I mean, I already received an email from Dr. Shahi asking me why I haven't logged in to Blackboard yet! That's great! I am so thankful to have a professor who is genuinely interested and who takes the time to monitor the progress of his pupils. It means a lot!

Cheers! To a great semester!

5 comments:

F. said...

hey dre,

i agree, we're very fortunate to have dr. shahi as a professor...he's so motivating.

btw i love your photo!

farah

Andrea Cooper said...

Great picture Andrea ! This class promises to be intellectually stimulating. I know that we are all going to gain knowledge and skills from this class that we will use in our future careers as leaders in global health.

Liyan said...

Andrea you are so young but you have accomplished a lot. I am so looking forward to hear your presentation on "the use of health care between undocumented Latino immigrants." I am so exited to have in our class because in this way we can experience the recent public heath issue which is a reality in US, specially California. Good Luck on it!

Emma Wolfe said...

Andrea,
I commend you for taking time out from Medical school to pursue an MPH, it will indeed make you a more rounded physician, since you will have a macro picture of health and the health status of the population you chose to work with.
I agree with you that there is tremendous amounts of discrimination and racism in health care, especially in such a diverse place as Los Angeles or Southern California, which is why minorities are at a disadvantage when it comes to health status. At the same time, I cannot blame the doctors you worked with who made these disparaging remarks about the undocumented patients or Latinos in general, because they are a product of their training and lack of cultural sensitivity.
There needs to be a total overhaul of systems change in Los Angeles so that the underprivileged can utilize preventative and primary care instead of being depended upon urgent care, which drains our resources and frustrates doctors who operate within their little tunnel vision. But predictably what you saw was typical victim blaming and when that happens, nobody wins.

Anonymous said...

reservoir valconab extreme trusted liben disturb literacies alarms debbie function unnatural
lolikneri havaqatsu